MEDICAL DERMATOLOGY OVERVIEW
- What is Dermatology
Dermatology is the medical science of the skin, hair, nails and mucous membranes (such as the lining of the mouth, eyelids and genitals). OR the study of the normal functioning of the skin and all the skin diseases associated with it.
- Who is a Dermatologist and what does he/she do?
A dermatologist is a medical Doctor concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of these skin diseases. Our Dermatologists see a wide variety of patients from newborns to the elderly and in every walk of life.
The skin is the largest organ in the body, covering a total area of approximately 18 square feet for the average adult. It acts as a barrier to protect our body from the outside environment, prevent loss of water, control our temperature and fight off harmful bacteria. The skin often reflects the overall health of the body too and many dermatologists have instigated further diagnosis’s which the patient wouldn’t have otherwise discovered.
Dermatologists have extensive training including microbiology, pathology, biochemistry, physics, physiology, and endocrinology. They also must be knowledgeable of other medical specialties because of their diagnostic work and because skin diseases are frequently associated with other areas of the body.
A dermatologist will usually have both medical and surgical capabilities within his professional role. The type of surgery they may be involved in varies. Some examples would be prevention of developing skin cancers by removing any abnormal moles; improvement of the skins appearance by removing growths, discolorations, and damage caused by ultraviolet exposure, and biopsies to confirm a definite diagnosis.
Dermatologists diagnose and treat more than 3,000 different diseases. These diseases include skin cancer, eczema, acne, psoriasis, nail infections, warts, fungal and yeast infections and dermatitis.
Dermatologists also improve the appearance of their patients’ skin, hair, and nails. For example, a dermatologist can help patients reduce fine lines and wrinkles, laxity and age spots and also improve the appearance of scar tissue.
If you have any changes in your skin which you feel are not normal you should seek the advice from a medical expert, such as a dermatologist
- Initial Dermatology Consultation
The initial consultation is one of the most important part of the skin care process. All patients who visit the Advanced Skin Clinic begin with an initial dermatology consultation which takes about 20 to 30minutes. This enables the Consultant Dermatologists to listen, examine and address all of your dermatological concerns.
At Advanced skin Clinic we emphasize thorough examination of your skin in order to formulate an accurate diagnosis of your skin problem and develop a personalized treatment plan for you.
Some conditions require further testing in order get an accurate diagnosis. At Advanced Skin Clinic we are able to provide a range of special skin examinations using specialized equipment such as Woods lamp, Dermatoscope and medical tests including blood tests, swabs, allergy testing, patch tests as well as several methods of biopsy.
At Advanced Skin clinic we are able to biopsy skin lesions for Histopathological analysis on site. Our state of the art treatment suite enables our Dermatologists to regularly perform biopsies of lesions such as moles, small swellings, and other rashes. The samples are then sent off to our partner laboratory where a group of experienced pathologists process and examine each and every specimen to produce a report for our dermatologists.
We always aim at starting your treatment from your very first appointment with us. At Advanced Skin Clinic we have our pharmacy on site so that medications can be purchased directly from us at competitive prices. This also means that your treatment plan can be started straight away without having to wait for another pharmacy to process your prescription.
We can also offer a number of specialized skin treatment procedures such as cryotherapy, electrosurgery, as well as other procedures to remove unwanted lesions such as cysts, moles and skin tags.
- Follow Up Consultation
For most patients a follow up consultation is always necessary to check the progress of your condition after starting the treatment regimen. Our Dermatologist will tell you when to return to the clinic for a follow up appointment. If you have any concerns regarding the skin condition or treatment before the date of your follow-up visit, do not hesitate to consult your Dermatologist or our office for assistance
We make it very easy for you to book an appointment with us by phone, email or through our website.
Advanced Skin Clinic is proud to work with some of the Uganda’s leading certified dermatologists. Our consultants are committed to providing each patient with the specialized Skin care, and all are fully registered with the Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioner’s Council. Advanced Skin Clinic welcomes patient’s with a wide range of skin complaints and encourages an individualized approach to skin care.
The Advanced Skin Clinic provides specialist and general dermatology services medical consultation and treatment for all the common medical skin conditions such as:
- Skin Allergies
- Skin infections caused by Bacteria, fungus and viruses
- Hypertrophic and Keloid scars
- Diper rash
- Hyperhidrosis or Excessive sweating
Advanced Skin Clinic advocates the highest safety standards in all procedures and treats patient safety with paramount importance. Our dermatology specialists perform surgery to treat conditions and diseases of the hair, nails, skin, underlying tissue, mucous membranes, and glands.
The following are the common dermatology procedures performed at Advanced Skin Clinic:
- Surgical treatment of skin conditions such as Skin cancers, fungal infections that have damaged the fingernails or toenails, Acne scars, Keloid scars, cysts, and Warts
- Chemotherapy injections, for warts, Abnormal scars and certain cancers
- Cosmetic dermatology procedures. Such as Scar revision or removal, Excision of abnormal moles and swellings and liposuction,
- Curettage — an instrument called a curette is used to scrape off the affected or diseased skin area
- Cryosurgery is a type of surgery that involves the use of extreme cold to destroy abnormal tissues, such as tumors. The surgery most often involves the use of liquid nitrogen. When liquid nitrogen has a temperature between -346 and -320°F, it instantly freezes nearly anything that’s in contact with it. In the case of human tissue, it can kill and destroy cells upon contact. This is important when the cells you want to kill are cancerous. Cryosurgery is typically used for tumors or precancerous lesions found on your skin such as warts, skin tags and other benign lesions . Cryosurgery, also called cryotherapy, is similar to the technique used when doctors freeze off warts using liquid nitrogen spray.
- Electrosurgery — we use an electric current to burn off remaining damaged or diseased skin cells
- Skin grafting, Skin grafting is a surgical procedure that involves removing skin from one area of the body and moving it, or transplanting it, to a different area of the body. This surgery may be done if a part of your body has lost its protective covering of skin due to burns, injury, or illness.
- Nail surgery, for diseases of the nails such as include onychomycosis (ie, fungal infection), onychocryptosis (ie, recalcitrant ingrown nails), onychogryphosis (ie, hornlike hypertrophy of the nail plate), and onychauxis (ie, thickened nails), as well as psoriasis, lichen planus, congenital nail dystrophies, and tumors.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT;
ADVANCED SKIN CLINIC
Ground Floor, Susie House, Plot 1001 Ggaba Road, Nsambya Central, Kampala. P.O Box 612, Kampala.
Tel: 0755-562430 (Office Line) or 0778-389002